- by Dr. Karanjit Dhillon
- October 20, 2022
If you are worried about your gummy smile or your receding gum line, if your uneven gum line bothers you or if it is leading to food impaction, you are the right candidate for gum contouring surgery.
At our office- Morgan Hill Dentistry, you get access to the latest preventive, curative, cosmetic, and restorative dental procedures from experienced dentists.
Everyone is unique and so are our smiles. People can have low or high gum lines or uneven ones. It can be medically necessary or an elective procedure depending upon the circumstances.
It may be done as a medical procedure to improve gum and teeth health. Sometimes this is done in conjunction with other restorative procedures.
Cosmetic surgery, this procedure is done to make your teeth, gums, or smile more attractive.
Here is your complete guide to gum resculpting or contouring-
What is Gum Contouring?
It is a reshaping of your gums with a minimally invasive short procedure that may or may not be cosmetic in nature.
Gum contouring surgery is performed with LASER or specialized tools to deliver great results with faster healing. Cosmetic reshaping is done to improve your smile and the appearance of your gum line.
It leads to a more attractive gum-to-teeth proportion. It is done for treatment purposes as well and not just for cosmetic reasons.
Apart from affecting the visual gum-to-teeth proportion, long gums can also lead to food getting stuck which harbors bacteria and can lead to infection. Receding gums are not just a cosmetic issue but also an oral health concern.
So, this procedure is for those with gummy smiles, and uneven gum-line, as well as those with receding gums.
Benefits of Gum Resculpting
● It can be used for visually appealing results by correcting long gums. The crowns are exposed by removing strips of gums so that teeth look longer with an appropriate gum-to-teeth proportion
● For an uneven gum line, the areas of excess gum line are specifically targeted to remove excess gum tissue. This creates an even gumline.
● Removing excess tissue leads to healthier gums and teeth as food cannot get lodged when excess tissue is not present to form pockets. Thus, it prevents gingivitis, gum irritation, etc.
● Receding gum lines can be corrected by contouring through a process of gum grafting. This helps as a cosmetic procedure but largely as a restorative one to deal with exposed roots and tooth decay.
● It may be used before crown lengthening or other regenerative treatments
● The recovery time is short. Fewer appointments are needed and aftercare is easy.
● Gum contouring with LASER is more precise. It cauterizes the incisions which results in minimal bleeding and faster healing. The risk of infection is minimized as well.
Gum Contouring- The Procedure
This process is a short surgical procedure requiring a single visit most of the time. A periodontist or a cosmetic dental surgeon will perform it after fully evaluating your gum and teeth health.
As gums are sensitive, local anesthesia is given to numb the tissue. A scalpel or a soft tissue LASER is used to reshape the gumline by removing or reshaping excess gum tissue. Sutures may be placed around gum tissue.
For receding gums, gum tissue will be added. This is a grafting procedure where the tissue will be taken from the mouth or palate. Thus, the gums can be reshaped to cover more of the teeth in this case.
Gum contouring with LASER may be better for rapid healing and lesser pain.
How Painful Is Gum Contouring?
Pain should not be a concern for people opting for this procedure for any reason. Although gums are sensitive, you shouldn’t be worried as the procedure is done after administering local anesthesia.
When the dental specialists perform this procedure, there is no unnecessary damage to the tissues. The extent of tissue reshaped or removed will vary for everyone resulting in some tenderness later.
For this, you are prescribed over-the-counter pain relievers which take care of these issues. Cold compresses can also help subside any pain and inflammation.
How Long Does Gum Contouring Take to Heal?
As explained already, this is a short procedure. Advanced techniques with the use of LASER and/or other devices limit tissue damage while promoting rapid healing.
Gum contouring recovery time depends on the amount of tissue and area involved along with individual healing times.
Usually, it takes a few days to weeks. You only need to limit certain activities for a day or two while going on a soft, non-irritating diet.
How Long Does Gum Contouring Last?
Many people wonder if gum reshaping or gum resculpting is a temporary solution or a permanent one.
This is a procedure that will provide long-term results. It is a permanent procedure as gum tissue will not regrow.
Wondering If Gum Contouring Is Healthy? or Are There Any Downsides?
Well, this process takes between 1-2 hours and can improve your oral health. It is a very safe surgical treatment where the risks are negligible.
It is a very healthy and relatively harmless procedure. But make sure to get it done by an expert. Our dental surgeons at Morgan Hill Dentistry, an emergency dental clinic are fully adept to perform the procedure.
Do’s and don’ts
● Take the painkillers and antibiotics as and when prescribed by your dentist. Do not take or stop any medicines without consulting your healthcare provider.
● Eat soft and cold foods for the first few days after the procedure so that healing from gum contouring is rapid and uneventful.
● Avoid hard, hot, spicy foods or drinks which can irritate your healing gums
● Follow your dentist’s advice for oral hygiene and rapid healing.
There are no major restrictions but you need to avoid foods that can poke, cut, or injure gums in any way. Impactful activities may be avoided for a day or two.
What to Expect at Our Center?
You will be assessed fully. Our experts take into account your perception regarding the appearance of your teeth, gums, and your smile.
Schedule your appointment to get the best care and best results. You can also enquire about other possible options.