- by Dr. Ravneet Dhillon
- October 27, 2023
Are you tired of looking for ways to hide black lines on your teeth? Do you have a tooth with a black line or stains on your upper teeth? You may have landed here looking for ways to get rid of those black lines on your teeth. Don’t worry you have landed at the right place.
Here you are going to find out everything you need to know about those displeasing dark lines or stains on your teeth. You will find out the causes, treatment, and home remedies to remove black lines on teeth.
With this knowledge, you will feel liberated. You will find a way to put an end to this anxiety-causing issue and get back your confident and radiant smile. Let us get started and find out everything about dark lines and dark stains on teeth.
What Are These Black Lines On Your Teeth?
Black lines often appear on the surface of the upper teeth near the gum line. They can be pretty visible and may make you conscious about smiling or laughing. They may also appear on the lower teeth. Some people may see dark stains on their teeth and even between the teeth near the gum line. These lines may be vertical and may cover a large surface of your tooth.
There may be different reasons for black lines on your teeth. You may see black stains, black lines, black tartar, black roots, black dots, or irregular black stains. Let us find the reason behind these stains and lines so that we can seek the appropriate and effective treatment.
Now that we know what black lines on teeth are, let us find out what causes them.
Black Lines On Teeth – Causes
- Everyone likes a healthy white smile. Black stains or lines can be a thing that makes one conscious and may reduce the overall confidence of an individual. So, what exactly causes these black stains to appear on your teeth?
- Cavities on teeth: Many times, cavities form on the teeth and damage your enamel. Deep cavities may damage the entire tooth and may cause black lines to appear on the affected teeth. Black lines due to cavities need immediate treatment from a qualified dentist.
- Smoking and tobacco use: Smoking is the leading cause of teeth staining. If you see black lines on your teeth, you should consider quitting smoking. Tobacco is the worst thing that you can consume for your health. Smoking and tobacco use ruin your tooth enamel and contribute majorly to gum disease. Smoking is also one of the leading causes of oral cancer.
- Tea and coffee use: Dark-pigmented beverages like tea and coffee cause pigmentation that can affect your teeth. The pigments present in these beverages cause dark lines or spots to appear on the teeth. You should consume dark-colored beverages like cola, tea, and coffee in moderation. Drinking too much red wine can also cause discoloration of your enamel.
- Tooth fillings: Silver sulfide tooth fillings may cause dark lines to appear on your teeth. Certain types of fillings may loosen and may cause dark lines to appear prominently. Make sure that you get your fillings checked by your dentist to prevent situations like these.
- Plaque and tartar accumulation: If teeth are not cleaned properly, plaque deposits on the surface of the teeth. Accumulated plaque becomes hard and turns into tartar. Tartar is also called calculus. You cannot remove tartar at home. In some people, tartar can be the culprit behind black lines or spots on the teeth. You should undoubtedly see a dentist and get professional cleaning if you have tartar on your teeth.
How To Remove Black Lines From Teeth?
- Get a dental checkup and cleaning – The best way to eliminate black lines on teeth is to get professional dental cleaning. Your dentist may suggest teeth cleaning along with teeth whitening treatments depending on your case. Dentists are equipped with methods and treatments to treat black lines on your teeth. Getting professional help can help you preserve your gums or enamel.
- Over-the-counter teeth whitening – There are several at-home teeth whitening products that you can consider using to remove black stains on your teeth. They are pretty cheap and easily available. If the black lines or stains on your teeth are not very severe, these may work well for you. Make sure you read the usage instructions carefully so that you do not harm your gums or teeth.
- Get professional teeth whitening – If the dark lines on your teeth are stubborn and have lasted for a long time, you may need professional teeth whitening. Professional teeth whitening treatments are a great solution for severe cases of dark lines or pigmentation. There are several good and effective teeth whitening solutions available today. You can get quick results in a short amount of time.
How To Remove Black Lines On Teeth At Home?
Getting rid of black lines on teeth through at-home remedies would seem like the most convenient solution for everyone. However, there is more to it than you may think. Even though people believe that products like apple cider vinegar and baking soda may help get rid of tooth stains, there is no hard evidence to prove it. Since there are several factors that cause dark lines to appear on teeth, the remedies may or may not work.
Many people may start using abrasive toothpaste or teeth whitening treatments at home. This may damage your enamel in the long run. Many people cause irreparable damage to their teeth by following certain home remedies. This is why it is essential to know every aspect of your dental problem. Visiting your dentist at least twice a year is the best way to avoid dental problems in the long run.
The best thing you can do is consult your dentist so that they can make an assessment and suggest possible treatments. Your dentist may also suggest some tips for preventing dark lines and staining on your teeth in the future.
Getting the right advice on time can make all the difference for your smile. You should get dental advice from the best dental clinic in Morgan Hill.
If you have any questions about tooth pigmentation or dark lines on your teeth, you should contact us at Morgan Hill Dentistry.